Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Twilight (post #3)

"Three things seemed to happen simultaneously while Carlisle was speaking. My hair ruffled with the light breeze, Edward stiffined, and the second male, James, suddenly whipped his head around, scrutinizing me, his nostrils flaring. A swift rigidity fell on all of them as James lurched one step forward into a crouch. Edward bared his teeth, crouching in defense, a feral snarl ripping from his throat. It was nothing like the playful sounds I'd heard from him this morning; it was the single most menacing thing I had ever heard, and chills ran from the crown of my head to the back of his heels"(378-379).
To briefly catch you up, you find out that Edward is a vampire and Bella is his ‘human’ love interest, from the summary on the back of the book. Through reading this quote you see that Edward has invited Bella to hang out with him and his family (who are also vampires). As they are in the woods playing baseball, Alice, Edward’s sister, says that they have visitors coming and they will be there shortly. These visitors are not like Edward and his family, they hunt more than animals. Edward is afraid for Bella but they do not have time to get her away before the visitors come.
When the visitors show up Carlisle, tries to be kind and disguise the fact that Bella is there. Bella covered up her face with her hair but as you read the breeze revealed her tasty scent. This scent is so powerful that James cannot resist her taste. He crouches forward wanting to pounce but Edward and Carlisle try to protect her. They say that she is with them and will not be hurt. They later find out that James has a special gift; he is a tracker, which can destroy Bella’s life forever. These last few chapters are the most intense ones of the whole book. You just can’t stop reading it even if you try.

1 comment:

Nick said...

I agree this is one of my favorite parts in the book. I couldn’t put the book down even for a minute. I was wondering if Edward and James would get in a brutal fight right then and there with both families there. I was also wondering if they did get in a fight what would the families do? Would they just stand there watch or help out and make it an even bigger fight. Yes, I really enjoyed the book; I just finished it last night and ill probably by the rest of the series. Are you enjoying the book?