Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Joy Luck Club : Post one

"You can't have luck when someone else has skill. So long time ago, we decided to invest in the stock market. There's no skill in that. Even your mother agreed. ... Now we can all win and lose equally. We can have stock market luck. And we can play mah jong for fun, just for a few dollars, winner take all. Losers take home leftovers! So everyone can have some joy."

I believe this quote is true, knowing the game of mahjong. Mahjong is a game where four players have 13 tiles and they try to win by drawing four sets of three consecutive tiles and a pair of the same tiles. My family grew up on this game, and even I know how to play it. It's really fun, a lot of asian people know how to play it, and when they start, it's hard for them to stop playing. Mahjong is addicting, because of that, it's even illegal in some states. I think it's cool that this book talks about mahjong, which I know about, because not that many people, other than asians, know about the game. It's very popular in asian countries, and there are even different styles of playing it. I remember last summer I went to visit family in California, and most of the day, I would play mahjong with my mom and distant relatives, which was fun.

It's good that they're only playing for a few dollars, rather than a lot, because you can lose a lot in a game of mahjong. Instead, it's wiser to invest in the stock market, where the profits of businesses can lead to profit of investors.

It's funny how the aunt, who spoke in this quote, says that the loser would have to take the leftovers. In asian hospitality, there would be great feasts normally at a house, and whoever owns that house would have to prepare the meal, and if there's still food, nobody would want to take the leftovers because asians like to prepare fresh food, well thats how my family is.

No comments: