Monday, May 26, 2008

The Joy Luck Club : Post Two

"I once sacrificed my life to keep my parents' promise. This means nothing to you, because to you promises mean nothing. A daughter can promise to come to dinner, but if she has a headache, if she has a traffic jam, if she wants to watch a favorite movie on TV, she no longer has a promise." (42).

I think this quote is true; promises don't mean as much in the modern day, then back in the traditional days. I can promise people many things, but fulfilling the promises would be difficult. I think the author went through a journey in difficult times to fulfill a promise, in order to understand how to keep a promise.

This relates to my life, and can relate to anyones, also. Promising people stuff comes too often, and it often leads to disappointment. Sometimes I would forget things, or be too busy, or just lazy. Although I can bring disappointment, it doesn't mean I don't regret them. It seems like I abuse my words, which can affect trust, and many other things.

This book has multiple stories with different character that portray different themes and lessons in life. It is interesting because it's like 16 stories in one book.

No comments: