Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Black Hawk Down (post #1)

“When the American soldier with the gun rounded the corner he saw Aden, peered at him closely, probably looking for a weapon, and then moved on. He stopped near the front end of the car – Aden could have reached out and touched the soldier’s boots – and pointed his gun at a Somali man with an M-16 across the wide street” (82).

I chose this quote because when I read it, it really made me think. It made me wonder what it would be like if there was a war being fought in the United States; right in our backyards. The person named Aden in this quote is a Somali teenager; a guy no older than I am. He was standing guard outside his house when he saw an American soldier climb out of the downed Black Hawk helicopter. Aden quickly ran and hid under the car nearest to him. He was just feet away from some strange foreign soldier with a huge gun.

I can’t even imagine what it would feel like to step out my front door to see a crashed foreign helicopter with some soldier holding a gun climbing out of it. Reading this just makes me thankful for how blessed I am to be an American. I am sorry for Aden and all the other people that have to feel that fear; but I am just happy that I don’t have to live like that.

3 comments:

alex said...

this was a good quote! i liked it becaue it made you think about what if this really happend and how would you react. you don't really hear about these kind of things on the news or really think about this, unless its brought up. my point is that if this probably happened to you, you wouldn't know what to do and everyone would react differently

Logan said...

Great Quote! I was just wondering if you had ever watched the movie "Black Hawk Down." This quote actually reminds me of the new Call of Duty game where the soldier has to crawl out of a downed helicopter and prepare to fight the terrorists surrounding the helicopter. Would you recommend this book?

Andy said...

This is a really good quote jake. i was wondering the book is anything like the movie or if they left a lot of stuff out. Well i hope your enjoying your book.