Friday, May 23, 2008

The Giver (Post # 2)

"But later it does matter, doesn't it? We don't dare to let people make choices of their own." After Jonas started receiving all of these new memories, I think that the author, Lowry shows us that even the tiniest of freedoms matter. I think that by Jonas saying that it isn't necessarily safe for a child to get the choice to choose from a RED toy compared to a BLUE toy. In a way this is depressing, to think that having such a small freedom, or choice to him is unsafe. To see colors is also such a huge experience for Jonas that on a daily basis we all take for gran it. This part of the book probably has to be my favorite when you see Jonas receiving these new memories of snow and sunshine. To experience these are no big deal to me obviously I grew up with both. Even to cousins in Texas, they are extremely excited to see snow, so for someone to have never experienced anything really, it's hard to comprehend. I think also not having anyone else in his community to share these extremely new feelings with is hard. He can't even go to his "parents" with these feelings. For a little boy especially, I feel bad for him, I can't imagine his comfusion. This book is amaaaaazing!

No comments: