Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Lovely Bones [Post #1]

“I worried that my sister, left alone, would do something rash. She sat in her room on the old couch my parents had given up on and worked on hardening herself. Take deep breaths and hold them. Try stay still for longer and longer periods of time. Make yourself small and like stone. Curl the edges of yourself up and fold them under where no one can see” [29]

The first time I read this book I read the first few pages and she was already getting raped and killed, which kind of crept me out. But now since I am getting into the book more I like it a lot better. The girl in heaven was raped and killed by a neighbor, and since she’s in heaven she can see how her family is doing and whatnot. She also can see the nasty rumors about her death circling around school, and the fact her killer is right on her street. Her dad actually has a talk with him about the death! If I were, I’d be somewhat freaked out.
I can relate to her sister a lot from the quote above. When something bad happens to me, I become kind of like what her sister is. She tries to become somewhat stoic-not showing any kind of emotion. I do the same thing. When there’s something wrong, I usually try not to show emotion as long as I can, kind of pretend like nothing is wrong.
I’m thinking at some point in the story, her sister is going to snap and loose her emotions after she finds out what really happened to her sister.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

WOW! This sounds like a great book, kind of intense but interesting all at the same time. My guess is that the sister is somehow going to have some kind of breakdown and then somehow get to communicate with her sister in heaven. This is crazy and I will definitley be reading more of your posts, or I could just read it! ha
LOVE YOU LE LE,
Michelle

Jessa said...

Most favorite book I have ever read, next to mine right now. I wish more people would read like you said past the first chapter because I think every girl should read this book. Most people get freaked out when they read a girl being raped and killed but it's only told to set the mood. I'll be reading more of your posts to remember the whole story!!!
See ya dude!!
Jessa

Tori said...

Leanne! Oh my goodness girl! This sounds like a great book and right up your alley. Your right, you do not show emotion and i think that you reading this book may like help you in some aspects! I kind of want to read it after you!

Let me know how it is! I can not wait to hear about it!

Love you bestie!
<3 ToRi

Stephanie C. said...

My goodness, it sounds good already!! You are right, it is a little creepy. But I think it sounds interesting too. I kind of like scary books, I’m reading one now. It sounds so crazy; maybe I will read it sometime. It sounds like you are going to enjoy the book you are reading! I will read some of your posts and see how the book is.
~Stephanie

Ellen said...

I've only read the very first chapter of this book, so your doing better than I did. Didn't the part where he made that little home thing in the ground for her creep you out? I know it did me, I couldn't read past the part where he had her down in there. I just cannot believe an old man would do that to a little girl in his neighbor hood! ughh. Well since I haven't read the whole thing, I can't wait to read more of your posts!
-Ellen