Wednesday, May 28, 2008

13 Reasons Why (post 2)

“I close my eyes. I don’t want to see it, but it’s so clear. When rumors of Hannah’s unexplained absence began spreading through school, Mr. Porter asked our class why he kept hearing her name mentioned in the halls. He looked nervous. Almost sick. Like he knew the answer but wanted someone to convince him otherwise. Then a girl whispered, “someone saw an ambulance leaving her house.” (56)



This book is getting really intense! She’s already gone through some of the tapes…and at this point it’s sounding like a teacher was a big reason why she killed herself. Maybe they had an affair? I’m not sure.
I wonder what it would feel like to be hearing those things about someone you cared for. If someone said that an ambulance was leaving one of my friend’s houses my heart would skip a beat. I don’t think I would know what to do. Did something happen to her parents? Who made the phone call to the hospital? Was she home alone? Why didn’t her parents notice any change in her antics and mood? These are all questions that are racing through my mind at this point. Who is Mr. Porter? What did he say to Hannah? A big question, why did he seem so nervous when he asked about her name being mentioned in the halls? I have to keep reading to find out.
It’s just amazing to think about this situation. Just how small things can effect someone so greatly, that it would provoke them to go to such an extreme to stop the pain and angst of going to the same place everyday to get teased by the same people everyday. no matter how many times they stand up to those people. It makes me wonder why something so tragic like this is the only last option someone has just to get people to stop talking about them for a few weeks.
This book shows how hurtful people can be, and how things they say, regardless of if it is funny or not, affects (sp?) people.

No comments: