Friday, May 30, 2008

The Kite Runner post 4

"I ran. A grown man running with a swarm of children. But I didn't care. I ran with the wind blowing in my face, and a smile as wide as the Valley of Panjsher on my lips. I ran."



I like this last paragraph of The Kite Runner because it basically sums up the story. The significance of the "I ran" part was that when Amir witnessed Assef raping Hassan he ran away instead of helping him, destroying their friendship in the process. Now twenty seven years later Amir kite ran with Hassan's son Sohrab he finally has something to run for. Through the journey to Afghanistan to get Sohrab from Assef's clutches Amir learns that he has been to hard on himself all those years. That can be summed up in the letter Amir recieves from Rahim Kahn while he was in the hospital after fighting Assef. Rahim said in his letter that Amir will be forgiven for doing what was right, that there was a way to be good again.



Being good again didn't happen to Amir as quickly as he would've liked because he almost betrayed Hassan again. Because of all the difficulties of trying to adopt Sohrab Amir suggested that he go to an orphanage until the US could get a visa for Sohrab to go there. Sohrab, the victim of hopelessnes because of his parents' and grandmother's deaths, Rahim Kahn becoming ill and having to go to Pakistan, and Assef sexually abusing him, attempts suicide. He thinks that he would be better dead because he wouldn't have to suffer any more lost promises.

No comments: