Friday, May 23, 2008

The Shining (Post #2)

“He looked in Danny’s room and Danny was in his crib on his back, sleeping deeply, his arm still buried in the cast. In the softly filtered glow from the streetlight outside he could see the dark lines on its plastered whiteness where all the doctors and nurses in pediatrics had signed it. It was an accident. He fell down the stairs. It was an accident I lost my temper. Listen, hey, come on, please, just an accident-”(60).

I’m starting to understand more what has happened to this family in the past. Danny is the little boy in the book and his father hurt him one time when he was drunk. His father, whose name is Jack/Mr. Torrance would not forgive himself for his actions towards his son. His wife Wendy forgave him for what happened, but Jack still has memories of hurting his son, especially when he sees him in the cast. Wendy is a little more protective of him, she does not want Jack to hurt him again, but Jack has stopped drinking since the incident. But he is starting to again.

In the book, I am almost to the good part. I remember it from the movie. It is going to get scarier and I’m so excited! I still am puzzled from parts in the movie, I have questions. I hope that they will be answered later on when I read more. I still like King’s style of how he writes. His descriptions sometimes make a shiver go up your spine, like you are actually there. I like how he does that, it makes reading the book more thrilling! I know I’m going to enjoy it even more as I read on. I can not put it down sometimes; the book is just so crazy and exciting!

4 comments:

Calvin said...

Reading your posts make me want to read the book. I saw the movie a long time ago, and forgot what the story was about, but I do remember it was scary. I like horror movies, but I never read thriller books. You do a good job explaining how you like your quotes.

Jessa said...

Dude, I don’t know how you are reading this book. The movie is the scariest movie I have ever seen. It’s like on the top ten scariest movies ever made and reading it I think would make it even scarier. You can imagine every little detail when you read, if it’s a movie you can block it out! Wow props to you for reading this… I look forward to reading more about this because I’m too scared to watch the movie again, or read the book.

Mr. Land said...

Stephanie, excellent post. Great quote and I'm glad you're sticking with the book through the slow parts. It definitely is getting to "the good part" as you suggested. I have no doubt that this will be one of those books that proves yet again that the movie does the writer's talent injustice.

Stephanie C. said...

Yea this book is really good. If you LIKE the movie, you will like the book.

The book is not totally that scary yet, but it will soon! I can't wait!! The good parts are coming.