Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Shining (Post #1)

“He killed them Mr. Torrance, and then committed suicide. He murdered the little girls with a hatchet, his wife with a shotgun, and himself the same way. His leg was broken. Undoubtedly so drunk he fell downstairs” (13).

I like how Stephen King described how one of the people that were taking care of the Overlook hotel murdered his family. The guy went crazy because he was in this hotel for many months. As I read on it kept on getting better and better. The main character would say that it would never happen to him and his family because they have things that they can do to keep them busy. I wanted to read on and on because it was just so exciting to see what would happen next. But it is just the beginning; it will get better and scarier as I read more of this book.

I like how King describes things pretty well. It is like you can picture it in your mind! I love how authors do that in their books, it makes reading the book more exciting. King also uses many similes. Like when he writes, “A stupid man is more to cabin fever just as he’s prone to shoot someone over a card game or commit a spur-of- the-moment robbery.” I think that is a little funny. I have not read many pages and I saw more similes too. I bet there are going to be way more as I read more of this book. His style of writing is very interesting. He would explain something, but then there would be parentheses and he would explain it more, but in a lot of detail. He did it on a whole page! It was like I was not reading a book anymore. But it gave me more of an idea of what he was talking about.

I think I’m going to like this book because I have seen the movie before a long time ago. It was a really crazy movie, and also a little confusing. Maybe the book will make it not be so confusing and I will get the movie more. I already like what I have read so far, it is a scary book. Scary books are awesome; it is hard to put them down. Just like this one!



No comments: