Friday, May 30, 2008

The Joy Luck Club : Post Four

"Five months ago, after a crab dinner celebrating Chinese New year, my mother gave me my life's importance, a jade pendant on a gold chain. The pendant was not a piece of jewelry I would have chosen for myself. It was almost the size of my little finger, a mottled green and white color, intricately carved.To me, the whole effect looked wrong: too large, too green, too garishly ornate. I stuffed the necklace in my lacquer box and forgot about it."

This reminds me of the times I would have with my family during Chinese New Years. It's always a celebration with family during mid-February. The children would always get gifts, no matter the age. Even my mom got things from my grandma and great grandma. My mom would always get jewelry and she would never wear it, but just cherishes it. Sometimes she would tell me how valuable these rings or necklaces are. Getting fake jade is very common, and is replicated by glass, but getting true jade is hard. Jewelry is a good gift to give, because it can last for lifetimes. There are many family artifacts that my mom carries in her box of jewelry.

2 comments:

Stephanie C. said...

I have heard of this book before, but I never really knew what it was about. It sounds like an interesting and a good book. I think I should read it sometime, I think I would like it. I also think that is kind of cool that it talks about the Chinese New Year.

Jordin said...

Yeah I have heard this is a really good book to. I might have to look at it see if im intrested in it!!