Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Catcher in the Rye (Response #1)

"I'm the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life. It's awful. If I'm on my way to the store to buy a magazine, even, and somebody asks me where I'm going, I'm liable to say I'm going to the opera. It's terrible. So when i told old Spencer I had to go to the gym to get my equipment and stuff, that was a sheer lie. I don't even keep my equipment in the gym" (16).

J.D. Salinger has a different writing style than most the authors I have read. His sentences are really short and he repeats the same thing alot. I think it adds to the book though. The story is told from first person and the main character is Holden Caulfield. Holden is 16 when the story takes place and he is not the brightest crayon in the box, so the short sentences add to the character. Holden gets kicked out of numorous private schools and has just been kicked out of his current school for laziness. He spends his last day visiting his sick teacher, Spencer, who gives him a big lecture about life. So far I like the book, but not much has happened yet.

No comments: