Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Kite Runner (Book Review)

I chose this book by looking through the books my family owned. After looking at the summaries I chose The Kite Runner. The book was fairly new, and from a different time than most of the stories we read this year. The subject sounded interesting because the Middle East has been a source of constant conflict in recent years, and I wanted to know about the point of view of an Afghan. I didn't know much about Afghanistan except that the 9/11 attacks were planned by some of the people living there.

Originally I thought the book was going to be about an Afghan boy and his friend living their daily lives in the wake of 9/11, when the US troops came to Afghanistan and overthrew the Taliban. I wanted to know what a Muslim felt about 9/11, whether he was tied with al-Quida or just an ordinary person. I also knew that the book was recently made into a movie, which I haven't seen yet. I wanted to know what the movie was about because it is on our DVR.

The story takes place between 1975 and 2002. Most of the events happen in Kabul, Afghanistan and San Francisco. The story follows Amir, a well to do child who's father is a high ranking member of Afghan society. Amir lives with only his father since his mother died during Amir's birth. Amir's father, Baba, is a powerful man in the community who is not afraid to speak his mind. A servant, Ali and his son, Hassan, live in a hut in their backyard. Hassan and Baba are both brave people. Hassan stands up to bullies to protect Amir. Amir feels Baba is ashamed of him because he is afraid to fight, reads books, and wants to become a writer. Hassan is a lower ranked member of society than Amir, but they are best friends. One main event of the story is a kite running tournament. Something happens and Amir betrays Hassan because he is cowardly, and feels he can get back at Hassan because he thinks Baba prefers Hassan. Later, Amir is guilt ridden. Amir begins making mean comments to Hassan, even though Hassan still loves and admires him. No matter how mean Amir becomes Hassan is still kind. Ali finds out the secret the boys share, and moves away with Hassan. When the Soviets invade Afghanistan, Baba and Amir escape to California. Years later, Amir finds out the tragic truth about Hassan. He also gets a chance to redeem himself.

The names of the people and places made the book a little more difficult to read. I also had some difficulty understanding customs and historical events. However, I liked the book because it was a fast paced page turner, and it opened by eyes to another culture. I also liked learning about the history involved with this country. The author was descriptive, which allowed me to visualize his writing. The theme of betrayal and redemption was evident throughout the book, and gave the characters traits common to all people. This book was one of the better books I have read in my lifetime. I would rate it as a nine or ten.

No comments: