Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Giver Book Review!

The Giver

Have you ever thought there are too many rules? I chose this book because I don’t necessarily like rules, like most people. This book shows the unique society of utopia. The author, Lois Lowry, growing up on a farm I’m sure had many rules in her life and has written a numerous amount of books. This just happens to be my favorite, that’s why I chose this book, even though I’ve read it before.
This book is about an eleven year old boy named Jonas who is also the narrator of The Giver. He lives in a practical utopia with a ton of rules. In his society the peak of your life is the Ceremony of Twelve’s, which is when you receive your job, given by the elders of the community. This is what Jonas was looking forward to like every other child and went to find out that he was chosen uniquely, which isn’t necessarily a good thing in this community. Jonas was told he would be the community’s next receiver, he was frightened. The receiver is a secret job that learns about the memories of the past such as snow and even pain. When Jonas learns of this pain he feels that the entire community must change, they need to know the feeling of love. Jonas takes someone along on this journey to elsewhere….(read the book to find who he takes and where they go).
This book is amazing! The way that the author used the many small rules throughout the book showed so much irony. The author also used irony throughout when Jonas was learning about life, the actual life, with memories. I read this for the first time in eighth grade and absolutely loved it. I hate reading, but after this book I wanted more, I wanted the book to not be over. Luckily for me, the author created a book onto The Giver, a sequel, The Messenger.

No comments: